Tuesday, May 20, 2014

MAJAYJAY, LAGUNA

San Gregorio Magno Church


 It was built by the Franciscan order in the 18th century. It has remained intact in spite of some minor alterations on the structure and its convent was converted into a school. The church is recognized by its catwalk above the ceiling that leads directly to the bell tower and is called langit-langitan. It was used as headquarters of the American during the Philippine-American War. It measures 60m long, 17m wide and 16.5m high. It is listed as a National Cultural Treasure.



Majayjay Falls

Its famous name is actually Taytay Falls but since it is located at Brgy. Gagalot, Majayjay, Laguna, people has started calling it Majayjay Falls. Another story is, it got its other name (which is Imelda Falls) from the First Lady of the late Ferdinand Marcos named Imelda Marcos, as she financed the promotion of tourism in this place and because of this, there was a time where the World Bank has sponsored the promotion of tourism in Taytay Falls. 



LILIW, LAGUNA

St. John the Baptist Parish Church (1605)

The Saint John The Baptist Parish (Lilio Church) in Liliw, Laguna was founded in 1605. The original church and convent were badly damaged in 1880 during a strong earthquake, while the reconstructed church was partly burned in 1898.




MAGDALENA, LAGUNA

St. Mary Magdalene Parish Church (1871)

Magdalena is the home of St. Mary Magdalene Church. This church was constructed in 1851-1871, and made of stones and bricks with a sandstone facade. The church is located at the town center or plaza, just across the municipal town hall of Magdalena. In February 1898, after being wounded in a battle with the Spaniards at the Maimpis River, Philippine revolutionary hero Emilio Jacinto sought refuge in this church. His bloodstains were found on the floor of the church.A new Castillo will be built in front of the church.



PAKIL, LAGUNA

St. Peter of Alcantara Parish (1767)

After 35 years of construction, the St. Peter of Alcantara Parish Church in Pakil, Laguna was finished in 1767. The church is popularly known as the home of the Nuestra SeƱora de los Dolores or the Virgen de Turumba , which was enshrined here in 1788. The Feast of Turumba is said to be the longest festival in the Philippines as it lasts for seven months - the first celebration is held a week before Holy Week and then every ninth of the month for seven months. The culmination of the feast is during the month of September (this year, it falls on September 12, 2010).


BINMALEY, PANGASINAN

PARISH OF OUR LADY OF THE PURIFICATION  (1674)
This town already existed as early as 1614 as part of San Carlos. In 1672, the Capitular Acts of the Dominicans assigned the first vicar of the town, Father Tomas Gutierrez. The church has been constructed in the 16th century and finished by Fr. Barrozo, O.P. in 1754. Its church bell is one of the three biggest bells in the Philippines, cast in 1804 weighing 4,130 pounds. It was damaged during the World War II. The church was destroyed and only the walls and the tower, partly damaged, were left by the shelling of the American warship from January 7-9, 1945.


CALASIAO, PANGASINAN

PARISH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL (1588) 
The Provincial Chapter of 1596 placed the parish under the patronage of St. Paul but from the year 1621, it became the parish of Sts. Peter and Paul. The first parish priest of this town was Fr. Juan Maldonado de San Pedro Martir. In the uprising of 1763, the Alcalde Mayor and other Spaniards besieged by the rebels of Binalatongan, took refuge in the church tower of this town as the convent and the church were burning. The religious saved themselves by escaping with the help of the insurgents who respected them. The church and the convent were subsequently rebuilt but in 1894 they turned to be pasture grounds of animals. Through the diligence of Fr. Ramon Dumlau and the cooperation of his parishioners, these buildings were renovated with marked improvements. The convent and the church are made of bricks. The 3-named church is one hundred yards long 30 yards wide. Its brick tower was made famous for having served as a shelter for the Spaniards during the English invasion.